Wednesday, December 12, 2007

SPECIAL SERVICE

With all my talk in yesterday's blog posting about Toronto's Bloor Cinema, I decided to check out a film playing there which I had never seen in its entirety before. On Her Majesty's Secret Service, the James Bond film from 1969, had always escaped my radar.

(As per usual, I had seen bits and pieces over the years.)

This is the only Bond film which starred Australian George Lazenby as the title character. Back in high school, a Bond fan friend by the name of Lorne wanted to set the record straight by joking to me, "who is that impostor!"

Some impostor. I thoroughly enjoyed not only the film itself but George Lazenby's shot at the always coveted role of "double-o-seven". In fact, I thought he was outstanding.

The running gag, for those not in the loop, is that most Bond fans pick On Her Majesty's Secret Service as the best of the movie franchise.

I can see why.

I could also see this film being required viewing at the (filmmaking) Academy. It is a real lesson in how to stage exciting action and blend it with characterization to make a well balanced picture or example of the type.

Composer John Barry also brewed one of his finest Bond scores.

The Bloor Cinema is playing On Her Majesty's Secret Service again, tomorrow at 9 p.m.

No comments: