Wednesday, December 5, 2007

MEETING MY MATCH

I had beer with two friends of mine tonight -- not the same friends I had beer with last night -- and I think I met my match when it comes to discussing things film and television. Most of us pride ourselves on knowing too much about at least one subject; whether it's being able to rhyme off every player on your favourite hockey and football teams, or having the ability to give a full history lesson on the Barbie Doll.

Gary talked with aplomb, this evening, about television fare such as Stargate, The Muppet Show, Smallville, Star Trek, Deep Space Nine (I do know it is also Star Trek), and Doctor Who.

My knowledge starts and stops with the original Star Trek, and Doctor Who (as far as the mentioned titles are concerned). This memory bank listened with interest when Gary went on about various aspects of the other series.

John, the other guy, is a harder to pin down in the authority-on department. Even though I have known him for years, I would not venture a guess as to what turns his crank. He is more modest and soft spoken -- this begs the question as to what he is doing with Gary and this writer. As Gary and I discuss, John sprinkles with anecdotes and observations.

The best way to describe the difference between the three of us is that Gary and me are Don Cherry(s) while John would be Ron MacLean.

For those non-Canadian readers I apologize. Obscure references these are.

Call this my regional posting.

No comments: