Friday, December 28, 2007

CYBORG 2087, NOW

Cyborg 2087 is a little science fiction movie from 1966 which stars Michael Rennie. It was a late night television staple for years. The last time I remember watching it was back in 1980 or thereabouts.

Cyborg is a fun picture. At least that is the way I remember feeling about her on my last viewing. Not that I have really looked around for Cyborg 2087, but I don't think I have ever seen a copy on VHS. I know I have never seen a DVD copy anywhere... even one of the 'dodgy' strain.

Make no mistake, Cyborg is what would be termed a cheapie. But I remember being caught up in the story. It was never boring and there were some freaky representations of the future.

By the way, that 'screen capture' above is from this movie. It is, of course, a painting, but I was struck at how much it looks like a depiction of the way the Toronto skyline is going. (A snapshot from the Gardiner Expressway.)

Guess how many of those structures are condos...

1 comment:

Greg Woods said...

Hah! Good call! Not only the skyline as viewed from the Gardiner, but also look what they're doing to the ROM and the AGO-- they look like they're from another planet... and whoever the new designer is should go there.

But yes I remember CFTO, when they were still showing late night movies till dawn, often played Cyborg 2087. It is a grey market favourite among collectors, as it has never officially been put on video of any format.