Tuesday, December 11, 2007

AT THE BLOOR CINEMA

I moved to Toronto in 1984. After living here for a week or two, I bumped into a friend of mine from high school as I walked down Bloor Street in search of something. This old buddy told me about the "Festival Cinemas" chain; a group of second run and old run movie houses in the great city. "The movies are only a dollar with a membership", was his sales pitch.

The Bloor Cinema was part of this group and it was in my neighbourhood. (I would visit, often, the other cinemas in the chain, such as The Fox Beaches, The Kingsway, and The Revue, but this particular venue was the 'corner store'.)

I was there with bells on in no time... seem to think that the first picture I saw there was Spinal Tap. The lineup went down Bloor Street and north on Albany. Got inside and, in order to get a seat, my friends and I had to sit on the balcony against the wall at almost the very back. The movie was enjoyable as was my new home.

Have been going to the Bloor Cinema on and off now for 23 years -- youch! My best year was 1993. I would leave work and take the TTC to Bathurst Station and round the corner and line up at the palace. It did not matter what was playing as I loved movies -- still do -- and this was the place to be. By my best reckoning at the end of that year, I had seen around 150 movies at "The Bloor". (Only once did I go to see a movie and, after having gotten into line, realized I had already seen it.)

The Bloor Cinema broke away from the Festival Cinemas group some years ago and went independent. The new owners have done a smash up job maintaining the tradition of Toronto's greatest movie house.


http://bloorcinema.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They recently closed the Paradise cinema (one of the Festival locations) in Bloorcourt Village. At least we are left with the great sign, "Paradise for lease." :)