Monday, March 10, 2008

jPOD EJECTED

I read in the paper today that the CBC will not be renewing the contracts of Intelligence and jPod. That is a shame. What I saw of Intelligence convinced me that Globe and Mail television writer John Doyle is right in claiming this series as brilliance.

As I wrote in past blog postings, I was there for the first few episodes for Douglas Coupland's series, jPod. Just when I was ready to toss the show aside, it found its legs... in the last episode I watched. Then I methodically tossed it aside.

According the the Corp, jPod won the important 'young people' demographic but not enough of them to warrant continuation of the series.

Don't think for an instant that this is a Canadian thing: The "big three" in the States -- ABC, CBS, and NBC -- were notorious once-upon-a-time for canning shows before they even had a chance. Then came Brandon Tartikoff to NBC and he gave shows a chance to find their audiences. A noted example of this is Family Ties. It was a truly horrible show, but it did eventually bounce around at the very top of the ratings with The Cosby Show in the mid to late 1980s.

Faith.

2 comments:

Greg Woods said...

....and yet they're keeping the hockey wives show?

Well it is the CBC-- there's no accounting for taste... or sanity

Chad said...

To help get jPod renewed for a second season, please visit http://savejpod.ca

Spread the word!