Thursday, March 13, 2008

NO BOND LATELY

I went to my one of my favourite coffee-spots today where there was a book lying around about the history of the James Bond movies. As I leafed through this mini tome I was reminded of the fact that I have not attended a Bond film release since the summer of 1983. That was the year of Octopussy. Back in the summer of 1979, I went with my high school chum, Lorne, to see Moonraker. I sat there not being able to believe what I was watching. As I said to Lorne afterwards, and he was of the same opinion, Moonraker was not a Bond film.

Upon the release of Octopussy, Lorne went to see her without me. (Maybe I was not interested in going, or something or other.) "See it... Bond is back on track", is exactly what he said to me the next day.

Yes, I agreed with Lorne on that one. Very entertaining and "that's more like it".

A few years ago I rented The Spy Who Loved Me. I did not see it in the summer of 1977. The titular theme song was played to within an inch of its life on the radio back then; but it was not enough, I guess, to get me into the cinema. Very good movie and exceptional Bond.

More recently, I rented a whack of Bond movies after I went to see Goldfinger at the Bloor Cinema (http://www.bloorcinema.com/). Goldfinger deserves the accolades it gets -- even if it is terribly sexist at times.

I like watching James Bond movies, but for some reason... non of the more recent releases.

No comments: