Sunday, March 15, 2009

MERCILESS

Is it just me or is comedian Rick Mercer not funny?! Yes, I know his CBC show The Rick Mercer Report is consistently a ratings winner with over one million viewers each week (which are very impressive numbers for the Mother Corp). But he is not funny. Facts are facts. I remember saying, almost in passing, to a friend over the phone a couple of years ago, "That guy (Mercer) is not funny". All I heard over the phone in response to my bold opinion was, "Thank you... thank you... thank you". I had struck a nerve.

I do admit I like Mercer's political rant; the one where he starts at the end of an alley, gesticulating as he propels with some speed down it's length, and back again. The very idea of mocking some Canadian politician, or incongruity within the Canadian political system, does carry much merit. But other than that, I do not find the man the least bit humorous.

Sorry, sitting strategically naked on a rock is not inherently funny.

... Unless you're Woody Allen.


(Caption for above photo: "Barry Smight doesn't think I'm funny. I'm finished!")

3 comments:

Gerald said...

It's you that has no sense of humour.Mercer rocks.

Barry Smight said...

Oh Gerald, you do not know me. LOL. But thanks for your comment!

enjonze said...

My problem with Mercer is that he wants to savage the politicians in his rants then sucks up to them in person. How typically Canadian. Have some conviction, man! Or, you know, just do a remake of Red Green or something.