Monday, March 9, 2009

PAUL BENEDICT

The CBC is showing Neil Simon's The Goodbye Girl (1977) as I write this. Two interesting things about this movie: It does not feel like a play. I got the impression way back that every time I turned around a movie was struck from a play from either Neil Simon or Bernard Slade, and more often than not the celluloid version betrayed the source. If you've seen 1981's Only When I Laugh, you will know what I mean. The other interesting thing is everybody looks so young. Richard Dreyfuss, Marsha Mason, and Paul Benedict. I checked the Internet Movie Database (imdb) just to see when these jokers entered this world. The entry for Paul Benedict gave a date of death as December 1, 2008. I did not realize he had died.

It's a shame that we remember him most for his role as the British neighbour to The Jeffersons, for he is memorable in The Goodbye Girl.

Internet Movie Database entry for Paul Benedict...
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0070801/

No comments: