Friday, August 27, 2010

I AM A MEDIA WATCHDOG... I AM... I AM

And I must keep convincing myself of that, even during the Toronto Sun's shift over to being a right-wing mouthpiece -- right down to the 'letters' column...
http://www.torontosun.com/comment/letters/2010/08/26/15154531.html

Throwing coal into your own furnaces. That's what I call it.

Read the Sun now, if you dare, and you will see that any semblance of balance is all but totally gone. To the wind.

Quebecor, the owners of this 'newspaper', can do whatever it wants, but must appreciate why it has lost so many readers in recent years. With columnist Eric Margolis no longer with the roid-tabloid many readers have said that they now have no use for the Sun.

My quandary is this: Can I even be a news watchdog if I'm just reading what is expected?

The little dictionary beside me explains a 'watchdog' as this...

guard against undesirable practices: a person or organization guarding against illegal practices, unacceptable standards, or inefficiency.


My answer to my own question would be...

just let the Sun be the Sun. They're harmless.

No comments: