Saturday, August 21, 2010

TERRY GILLIAM ON STAR WARS

I'm doing one of my spells right now. I'm watching a few Monty Python's Flying Circus DVDs. Went to the IMDb (Internet Movie Database) to read up on the boys. Came across this interesting quote from Terry Gilliam...

(on future use of CGI in his films) "Nooo! Leave that to George Lucas, he' s really mastered the CGI acting. That scares me! I hate it! Everybody is so pleased and excited by it. Animation is animation. Animation is great. But it's when you're now taking what should be films full of people, living thinking, breathing, flawed creatures and you're controlling every moment of that, it's just death to me. It's death to cinema, I can't watch those Star Wars films, they're dead things."


I have always had trouble summing up what I feel is so wrong about the Star Wars 'prequel' films. Gilliam has nailed the problem for me. Those films are "dead things" indeed.

Now I can move on.

No comments: