Monday, September 10, 2012

ORIGINAL STAR TREK MUSIC SET DETAILS


Last week, La-La Land Records announced details regarding their upcoming 15-CD box set release of the melodelicious music from the original Star Trek television series.

It will be a limited release -- of course -- of 6000 units; based on feedback the record company has gotten. (Based on what I know of similar releases of late, which I'll get to in a moment, I anticipated a pressing of about 4000.)

Star Trek - The Original Series Soundtrack Collection will sell for $224.98 and La-La Land hopes to release the set around late November.

The Canadian Dollar has been hanging around at a little over parity with the U.S. Dollar. Go, Canadian Dollar! You've been served your papers; you've got two months to make an even bigger difference....

Back to my earlier point on "what I know of similar releases of late": About two years ago a 14-CD box set by the name of "The Ron Jones Project" was released; consisting of all, or most of, the music that Ron Jones wrote for Star Trek: The Next Generation, it was bound to be a sure-fire seller to fans of that series and his scores; even at the price of $149.95. Five-thousand units were manufactured; a few months after hitting the market, the set had sold the grand total of around 900. I've since heard that more have been sold, but the producers of the set took a bath. Which begs the question: Where are all the fans of this stuff?!

Last year a 4-CD set of music from The Next Generation was released and it has sold below expectations. Where are all the fans?

So, my point is: Hopefully Star Trek - The Original Series Soundtrack Collection will be wanted by the fans. I'm on my way; last week I bought a new piggy bank at Honest Ed's....


No comments: