Wednesday, April 21, 2010

SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN COMING TO DVD

Gone are the days when I would check http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/ on a regular basis. Something made me check today; I went into the archived 'news' bits and saw that a favourite television show from my youth is being released (tentatively) to DVD this coming Autumn...
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Six-Million-Dollar-Man-DVDs-Planned/13551

A couple of years ago a friend of mine sent me DVD-Rs ripped from the European (Region 2) DVD sets of both The Six Million Dollar Man. and its sister series The Bionic Woman. I watched a few and can safely say that those series' are "still good".

(Due to rights issues, those two series was released overseas but not in North America. Go figure... or at least talk to a lawyer who follows that stuff. A more miserable case of incredibly complex rights issues is the non-DVD release of the 1960s Batman television series. Apparently it's a nightmare to resolve due to the myriad of different rights holders -- the rumour is that even [the image of] the Batmobile built for the series is owned by a separate party which makes an almost unsolvable situation for all the lawyers. It's really that bad.)

5 comments:

Greg Woods said...

Yes! I can't wait to see this show again. Attack, Bigfoot!

Barry Smight said...

Precious. Perfect pulp. It may have been a Jump-the-shark moment to the die-hards, but the Bigfoot stories are remembered.

Dare I say?... The Six Million Dollar Man's "Spock's Brain"?

Greg Woods said...

Um, no. Bigfoot helped people remember the series-- Spock's Brain made people want to forget it. Seriously though, I don't mind "Spock's Brain"-- still miles ahead of Space Hippies.... "heyyyyyy brother..."

Barry Smight said...

My least favourite (original) Trek is "And the Children Shall Lead". So bad with the exception of George Duning's atonalish score... quite a change from the lovely and memorable tunes he penned for that series.

Funny you should say that you don't mind "Spock's Brain". It was written as a comedy but produced as a regular episode would be; and if you watch knowing that fact, it is twisted and funny.

And you are right: "The Way to Eden" is a tough one.

"Herbert, Herbert, Herbert... "

Jon said...

Weird coinc: As I was getting set up for a cardiology treadmill test this week, I was thinking of the SMDM -- just needed the 70s track suit to go with the wires.

Being old enough to remember the series is partly why I underwent the test in the first place, of course...