Sunday, April 25, 2010

A CALIBRE OF HOCKEY

You, dear reader, will not believe what I am about to reveal: I turned down a dinner date with friends so as not to miss tonight's NHL hockey game on the CBC -- specifically the match-up between the Buffalo Sabres and the Boston Bruins. Buffalo won a scorcher the other night to stay in contention. The Bruins still have an edge with three wins to the Sabres' two. This will be game 6. Buffalo has to win the next two with no losses; it is a typical 'best of seven' contest.

What astounds this space man is the very high calibre of play... by every team I watch this Stanley Cup playoffs. Virtually every game has been exciting. No exceptions.

I responded to my friends' invite with, "I'll be okay, there's a McDonald's around the corner along with a convenience store".

My mouth's watering already.

Even with all the ridiculous shenanigan's by the NHL's head office, including the equally stupid recent addition of the referees now announcing whether or not a goal is allowed (the 'old' way was the best, not to mention much more dramatic... point to the center faceoff circle or to one near the last play... not the refs' fault, they are just doing what they are told), this league is still "it".

Oh, silly me, I forgot. The league wants to look more like the NFL. Insecurity abounds.

No comments: