Saturday, April 24, 2010

FACEBOOK IS (CAN BE) SCARY

Social networking sites such as Facebook are, whether you like it or not, or abstain from using, like yours truly, are undeniably here to stay. And are hardly a fad. But, and it's a big one, the 'bad' can all at once wipe out any of the good qualities associated with the services.

I don't elect to stay away from Facebook to impress anyone, but more because I am more than aware of the 'bad'; like this...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/facebook-users-risk-blackmail-privacy-czar-warns/article1545444/

... One benefit of signing up with Facebook, as a friend of mine has reminded me, is that you can find people from the past that you knew but lost touch with. This is actually a big reason why I have never signed-up with FB: Just in the last year alone, for example, I have found and re-established contact with three people who I went to school with, not by using a SN site, but simply by 'Googling' their names. It was too easy, in fact. Amazing. And it 'cost' me nothing. And spared me from revealing the fact that I like wearing pink shoes, including high-heels, and my favourite band is Suns of Vortoxic.

No comments: