Sunday, April 11, 2010

THE AVENGERS

Last night I sat down with a DVD containing three episodes of the original The Avengers television series (1961-1969).

This somewhat famous British show, created by Canadian Sydney Newman, who also initiated Doctor Who, was rerun a lot when I was a kid, and I remember enjoying it very much -- probably due to the occasional Sci-Fi timbre of the series. It was not afraid to go into territory of the bizarre, or offbeat.

After watching two episodes, back to back, I realized my fond memories are of watching the show from a child's perspective. ("What is so different now?", some friends might ask out loud.) While the banter between leads Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg -- these episodes were from 1965 -- is very good and a great part of The Avengers appeal, overall, I find it not overly successful when watching now.

(For you non-fans, or young-ones, the years with Diana Rigg -- 1965 to 1968 -- are considered by most to be the apex of the show. Generally, the later run with Linda Thorson is not regarded as highly. By the way, the first side-kick to Macnee's John Steed, was Honor Blackman.)

I'll watch the third episode tonight and file a more complete "viewer's report". I know you cannot wait.

No comments: