Saturday, September 8, 2012

STAR TREK - 46 YEARS AFTER LIFTOFF


Star Trek premiered on NBC forty-six years ago today? Time sure flies. While I did not see the legendary series until June of 1970, I was old enough to remember the premiere had I been watching in September of 1966.

The good news is I discovered Star Trek in the full in the fall of 1970 when CFTO (CTV Toronto) played it at 5pm, weekdays. The show was magical and it captured our (my friends and I) little minds and hearts. We thought and talked about ST an awful lot. (I think my grade-4 teacher was more than a little frustrated with our chatter... and drawings.)

And some of us are still talking.

Put it this way; a friend of mine recently watched a DVD that contained two episodes of the original Trek -- "Who Mourns for Adonais?" and "Amok Time".  As my friend admitted, he was a casual television watcher growing up, and as far as our show in question was concerned, he guessed that he saw "perhaps ten episodes in total". I had to ask him what he thought of the show, given these parameters.  He answered:  "Excellent! I watched each one twice." After a moment, he added with the passion of discovery, "It's much more profound than I remember it being." I quipped, "that's why we're still talking about it".
 

No comments: