Friday, October 4, 2013

POST DJANGO UNCHAINED

Rare is it that I don't know what to make of a film, or any piece of art, for that matter, after taking it all in. One exception to this opinionated guy not having a solid and firm opinion is my morning-after reaction to Quentin Tarantino's 2012 opus Django Unchained. I will not deny that I was thoroughly entertained -- I'm already in trouble trying to make a point -- but the film`s excessive violence and diarrhoetic use of the "N word" makes me feel insecure all over about proclaiming my admiration for the movie as a whole. As Doug McKenzie once said, "I think I can take it, eh?"... and I can: I've seen lots of movie violence, the cartoony and the 'real'; but Tarantino's overly exuberant bursts of bloodshed here kept popping me out of the movie-going experience.

As I told a friend a couple of days ago, I've long suspected that Mr Tarantino "gets off" on rendering violence, but now I'm convinced that the director considers it orgasmic.

This same friend gave me his opinion. He has no desire to see Django Unchained`: "He's (Tarantino) a guy who worked in a video store and saw way too many movies... he has absolutely no vision of his own" (my friend's emphasis).

I liked Inglourious Basterds and Pulp Fiction....

No comments: