Tuesday, January 22, 2008

IN SYNCH

I noted that a friend called a couple of nights ago to tell me how much he was impressed with the new monster mash flick, Cloverfield. Well, I got an e-mail from another buddy who said exactly the same thing about the movie. (As in no variation.)

As I have not yet seen this film, and since it is important to me to spread the word, I must use my movie-going-mates to speak on behalf of the money-grubbing picture, Cloverfield.

This was an e-mail but I will consider it another guest blog from Larry Smight (no relation). Reprinted with kind permission from the author...

Fantastic film. No scientists explaining what the monster is, where it came from or how to stop it. No talking heads at the Pentagon debating their next move against the creature. It's all street-level, what an average person would be able to piece together as it's happening scenario. And it's fantastic. Best monster movie since Alien. Once you buy the conceit that the dude would keep the camera running while basically running for his life, it's one thrill after another. And all following a perfect, logical plot. I know digital technology has come a long way, but still hard to conceive that this only cost $30 million to make. Proof that judicious use of effects can elicit big scares. This film is definitely less-is-more school of filmmaking, but when there are big reveals, my god, do they seem big and exciting.

Larry Smight (no relation)

No comments: