Monday, January 7, 2008

MUSEUM CHASE

A friend of mine was telling me about a series of regular altercations she has had with another woman in recent weeks. She likes this other woman ("hat" is how she described her to me) but there is not a lot of communication outside of the perfunctory hellos when they do share the same flight plan.

On one occasion, my friend was minding her own business filing a book back on the shelf in the school library when suddenly an arm gently passed by her face. This arm was attached to the other woman. There was an exchange of smiles but that was it. No further colloquy.

As a movie fan, I was able to pull out a cinematic example of the above -- one for the edification of my floating friend. The example I downloaded from the memory bank was the wonderful 'museum' scene from Brian De Palma's 1980 minor classic thriller, Dressed to Kill.

The museum sequence is not only a demonstration of fine acting, directing, and music scoring (superb scoring I should specify), but required viewing for those who have been experiencing cat-and-mouse dynamics with a desired carbon based unit.

I told my friend to rent the movie, but it dawned on me after some thought, that I should just see if the scene is on good ol' YouTube...

It is... http://youtube.com/watch?v=vIaUt5KcxzI

Lisa now wants to see the whole film.

1 comment:

Greg Woods said...

Good call on that museum sequence-- that is a lovely piece of filmmaking. I haven't seen Dressed To Kill in 20 years, but always remember that scene for its composition and editing.