Sunday, January 17, 2010

2-INCH QUADRUPLEX

One interesting "goof" in the 2005 Steven Spielberg film Munich occurs near the beginning. While the hostage crisis is going down, the camera dollies past a rack of video tapes in a television centre. The problem -- and it's not a big deal, more to impress my readers with my vast knowledge -- is the tapes on the rack are 1-inch ("one-inch") and not 2-inch Quadruplex ("Quad") which is what the main broadcast format was back in 1972. In fact, 1-inch was still a few years away.

There is a lot that I do not know. For instance, that the Volvo "whatever" model did not have a swivel side mirror so it should not be in a film about 1972... I'm just making this stuff up, but there are people out there who know the tiniest details.

To tell you the truth, I still enjoy reading about "goof" details even though I will not hold them against the movie... except: "Here comes the 747 from New York." Cut to a shot of a DC-9.

No comments: