Wednesday, August 6, 2014

ROSETTA'S VIEW OF COMET 67P/CG


The picture above of comet "67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko" is, to me, magnificent. So much so that I cannot believe this image was not top-of-the-news when I went online this morning.

The European Space Agency spacecraft "Rosetta" is now speeding through space with the comet. On November 11th, Rosetta will drop a probe named Philae; the "box of electronics on legs" will attach itself to 67P/CG using an explosive harpoon. Hopefully there will be more photographs of magnificence.


The Guardian...

Rosetta spacecraft makes historic rendezvous with rubber-duck comet 67P/CG
European Space Agency probe brought to within 100km of comet travelling at 55,000km per hour, where it will begin analysis
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/aug/06/rosetta-spacecraft-rendezvous-rubber-duck-comet-67pcg

2 comments:

Tibor said...

Some of those photos are amazing. There's a video of it's flightpath and it's real zigzaggy.

Barry Smight said...

The photos are so good it all tears me up? (Oh... those are the raw onions I've prepared for dinner. You get my point, however.)