Saturday, April 12, 2008

CORNER GAS ENDING

It is rare that I am able to judge a recent show with any educated opinion, but Corner Gas is a show I have seen ten to twelve episodes of. I was forced to watch a bunch of video tapes of the show as part of a project. I say "forced" lightly... as part of a job description.

As the end credits ended (on the tenth or twelfth episode) I realized that I did not "get it". Of course, I could see what the Corner Gas producers were trying to do, but, to me, it fell limply and horribly flat.

One thing is for sure, it ain't no Green Acres.

1 comment:

enjonze said...

Have to disagree with you on this. I think, for what it is, Corner Gas is plenty of fun.

It's also nice to see a homegrown sitcom where the "Canadianess" is just incidental to the story and not hammered home every 30 seconds. Sure, CG mines the same territory as Sienfield (less succesfully) but the characters are sharply drawn and their motivations "realistic" in the fictional universe they've set up.

Yeah, it's no Green Acres, but it's also no What About Jim? or Home Improvement, for which we can be forever grateful.

Neil