Wednesday, April 23, 2008

NEW BEN HUR

One of my favourite movies -- certainly of the biblical epics -- is William Wylers 1959 masterpiece, Ben Hur. Even with its high stature I do realize it is not exempt from being "remade". (Look at Psycho.) I read the news somewhere recently that a 'Ben Hur for television' has been green-lit.

I was reading a newsgroup and message board on the weekend when I came across some commenter's smark, "geez... I cannot wait to see the CG chariot race!"

I did an unscheduled load of laundry.

In all seriousness, my only question would be, "what about the music?" Miklos Rozsa's score for the Wyler version is one of the best of all time. (Even my dad had the Deluxe Stereophonic Edition vinyl from the original release, filed with his classical music LPs. One of the very few film scores you can listen to on its own as pure music. They are meant to be "laid up with picture".)

I can't hardly wait!

No comments: