Wednesday, April 23, 2008

ACTORNAUTS / HOLLYWOOD HAS A PROBLEM

After watching the end of the ice hockey game on television this past Saturday, I flipped over to TVO's "Saturday Night at the Movies" to see what movie they were playing. My answer was Ron Howard's 1995 picture, Apollo 13, which was based on the famous almost-disaster for the U.S. manned space program.

As a general rule I do not prejudice a movie before seeing it. Apollo 13 was an exception since I well remember the incident. My attitude at the time of this pic's release was that I could not buy Tom Hanks as an astronaut, never mind Jim Lovell.

On Saturday night I watched Apollo 13 to the end (there was about a half-hour to go when I tuned in). Real paint-by-numbers stuff. Oh, oh... here comes James Horner's typical stamped music, complete with choir practice.

And annover fing: I do not see James Lovell, Fred Haise, or Jack Swigert.

I just see a bunch of poncey actors.

1 comment:

Greg Woods said...

Thank God! To me this film has all the heartpounding suspense of a bake sale.