Wednesday, April 16, 2008

MORE GEOFF PEVERE

Commenter Greg Woods smarked a response to my previous posting, GEOFF PEVERE, COMEDIAN, by stating that he has the utmost respect for the critic. I must clarify that I too hold Pevere in the highest esteem. He always approaches film criticism from more than one angle (more than the usual Toronto film critic). Pevere puts his analysis in a cultural context: This is very important in critiquing of any kind but is all too rare here, certainly amongst his peers. How many times do we see, read, or hear some critic, in a most bozonian way, raving about or trashing his or her subject and not understanding, or making us understand, from when he or she is speaking?

To top it all off, and in connection with my earlier piece, Geoff Pevere was interviewed recently on Saturday Night at the Movies about the American Western, and he encapsulated in perhaps the most eloquent and efficient way the root power and mythology of the movie type that this writer has ever witnessed. It was outstanding!

I wish I had a transcription of it.

No comments: