Monday, May 18, 2009

KEEPS ON TREKKING!

J.J. Abrams' New Trek beamed up another 43 million bucks this past weekend. Mighty impressive numbers for a blockbuster film in its second week, and one maintaining superior "per screen" attendance. The generally glowing word-of-mouth is a factor; something you don't see or hear enough.

Little Ronnie Howard's Angels & Demons did good, but not spectacular, business dropping 48* million credits into the collection plate in its opening weekend. It needs positive word-of-mouth, especially, since the projected number of followers did not show up. (I was expecting 60 - 80 million dollars to be the tally.)

(I'm just trying to sound like a real Box Office Analyst. This posting was not planned until I received a "glowing word-of-mouth" e-mail from a friend last night.)


*Figure was adjusted down to 46 million later in the day. Star Trek was actually the number one film on Saturday and Sunday. As much as film is an art, it is mainly a business, especially is the case with expensive films. Yes, I admit I am torn between two lovers -- art and commerce. It is an affliction from which I have found no antidote.

No comments: