Tuesday, May 5, 2009

READY TO TREK

Toronto's National Post newspaper is doing a "Star Trek Week" this week in anticipation of some low-key movie to be released on Friday.

This is a look at the infamous "Canon" of Star Trek, which I, for the most part, do not acknowledge, by the way...
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2009/05/05/star-trek-week-messing-with-the-canon.aspx

... 'They' can mess with it all they want. The only canon for me would be what was established in the original series. Gene Roddenberry was the great bird of the galaxy (great overseer) for that production -- although, not so much in the third season -- and that, to me, makes it more a bound volume than any of the later series'.

If the die-hards don't like reboots, adjustments, or amendments, well... they can bugger off! Geeks! My advice to you is stay in your parents' basements.

I was speaking with a woman yesterday who saw J.J. Abrams Star Trek last week at some industry screening, so, of course, I asked her what she thought. Answer: "It was wonderful! And I don't even like Star Trek."

Maybe I will go, after all.

No comments: