Saturday, July 27, 2013

THE MAKING OF SPACE: 1999 - THE BOOK

My regular readers will notice that, lately, there has been a preponderance of postings on the old television series Space: 1999 (1975-77). Way, way back, late 1976, shortly after that series started its second and ultimately final season, I found a freshly published book with the somewhat intoxicating title of "The Making of Space: 1999" sitting in my local Woolworths awaiting rescue by a geek in shining polyester.

I rescued it, all right, by parting with $1.95 of my hard earned money, then proceeded, as obsessive young fans tend to do, to read it cover-to-cover in a short amount of time. (And yet I wouldn't read certain mind-enriching books prescribed by teachers at my high school. Hey, William Shakespeare ain't no Tim Heald, the author of "The Making of Space: 1999".)

It's been years since I've read the book but now it's time to re-open those pages. My balcony awaits, after I run a couple of errands, and spend a few minutes on a freelance job sitting on my desk -- just in case my client happens to read this posting before the end of the day.

When I finish "The Making of Space: 1999", to expand my mind, and to make amends for self-prescribed menial mental activities from my high school years I will continue with that "Euripides - Ten Plays" book sitting on the shelf.


Back on July 15th, I posted a story called "Standing up for Fred Freiberger" (here) and promised to upload the final piece, "soon". I'll wait until I finish "The Making of Space: 1999" before I do my last polish on that piece... that should be at around 2 o'clock this afternoon....

No comments: