Saturday, January 17, 2009

CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT - OVALTINE

There are some things we hear about but never seem to know anything more about them; with the Net this all changes, if we wish to do some exploring. I was on Wikipedia, surfing within, looking at various subjects like Creature Feature host Bob Wilkins, when one thing led to another and I keyed in "Captain Midnight". I have very slight memories of watching the television series starring Richard Webb -- a few years ago I rented a VHS tape of two or three episodes. Yep, I do seem to remember watching this as a little scanner-scanner. Captain Midnight was over ten years old at that point but it would make sense that it would be rerun in my era.

What is in the lexicon for some of us is the saying (for lack of a better term) "Ovaltine Captain Midnight Decoder Ring". Ovaltine took the show over from the Skelly Oil Company during the 'radio days', eventually taking the concept to television in 1954. This is the version that most of us remember.

As per usual Wikipedia has links to various websites. This one is a lot of fun...

http://www.otr.com/midnight_ovaltine.html

No comments: