Wednesday, January 14, 2009

ROUND ALBUMS (NOT ME)

A news breaking item is on cnn.com today. It reads "Love At First Listen: Albums That Changed Your Lives".

I'm still trying to think of one. I remember the first time I heard Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band... I did like it very much (years after it was first released). There were bits and pieces, but no albums. No (original) album would or could have 'changed my life'. May I say that would be one tall order!

I just remembered the time a friend played his Frank Zappa album "Sheik Yerbouti" for me; the one with the song about chutes...


ttp://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/14/albums.irpt/index.html

3 comments:

Greg Woods said...

Well most of my favourite albums became so by growing after a few listens. Having said that, one of my desert island picks became a favourite the moment I put it on the turntable: Brian Eno's Discreet Music.

Greg Woods said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
enjonze said...

It was Who's Next for me. And In the Wake of Poseidon. Until got older and found Kind of Blue and Saxophone Collosus.

Maybe it's a format thing, but no CD, no matter how good the music on it, has ever thrilled me the way playing those three LPs did.

And, though I don't care much for the music now, there were a few Yes albums in my youth that were also in heavy rotation.