Monday, June 8, 2009

BOOKING HARLAN ELLISON

No, I did not miss TVO's screening of Dreams With Sharp Teeth last night, and not only did I enjoy this documentary on American writer Harlan Ellison, but it was even better than I thought it would be. Personally, I cannot get enough Harlan; his fiery and take no B.S. personality lines up very much with my own -- I wish I could be as irascible, not to mention, talented, as the Demon With a Steel Tongue.

Andrew Dowler, resident home-video writer for Now, a Toronto weekly newspaper, reviewed the DVD of Dreams (which was released last week) and said something which resonates with me, now that I have seen the film: Dowler thinks that Harlan Ellison's ranty nature is an act (after a certain stratospheric level, that is) as the writer-with-a-reputation actually "comes across as a happy, fulfilled man". I agree.

4 comments:

Greg Woods said...

Oops! I totally forgot about it. Don't suppose you taped it by any chance?

Barry Smight said...

Like certain kids in the movie "Pump Up the Volume", I have the tapes... I have the tapes!

***

MS of Barry Smight giving DVD of "Dreams With Sharp Teeth" to Greg Woods, who immediately reciprocates with a DVD copy of "Cyborg 2087".

Shot of Woods and Smight each enjoying a cigarette.

***

Greg Woods said...

Dissolve to layered image of dates falling off a calendar in FG-- in BG, Greg walks to PO box in LS, awaiting shipment from the states.

Barry Smight said...

STOCK SHOT of cars driving down freeway.

STOCK SHOT of lighting against dark sky.

STOCK SHOT of Atomic Explosion.