Saturday, June 6, 2009

METAL MICKEY?

British television ("telly") has always fascinated me. Spending some time in Merry Olde England as a youth, in addition to watching a lot of series' imported from that country -- we in Canada have always been blessed in that regard -- made me appreciate a different perspective or take on drama and comedy. In addition to watching standard fare from the U.S., I absorbed British product such as Doctor Who, Fawlty Towers, The Tomorrow People, Thunderbirds, UFO, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), Joker's Wild, On the Buses, and Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em. There are many more examples and I am nothing special -- this story applies to any television watcher who grew up in Canada during the 1960s and on.

Imagine my surprise when I saw the name of a British series which I had never heard of listed on ITV's website (http://itv.com/). I should not be so surprised since Metal Mickey was a kids show and one that started in 1980. (I had given up tyke-fare by this point... It was tough but I did the impossible.)

Metal Mickey sounds pretty surreal. Check out "Memorable moments"...
http://itv.com/ClassicTVshows/kids/MetalMickey/default.html

No comments: