Wednesday, June 10, 2009

NHL SEASON 27 MONTHS LONG

The interstellar news service just notified me that game seven (the absolute final) of National Hockey League Stanley Cup action between the Detroit Red Wings and the Pittsburgh Penguins, is scheduled for this coming Friday, June 12th. Game six was last night -- Tuesday. That is a three day span (for those of you who need a calendar calculator). Game five was last Saturday -- three days before game six. Get my drift? That is too much time between games, and only drags the season out longer and longer.

The NHL's regular season is far too long as it is... the playoffs stretch everything out to Pluto's orbit; the whole shebang generally -- with few exceptions -- runs October to June.

I my humblest opinion, the regular season should commence the first weekend after Labour Day. Even though there are still two or three weeks remaining in the calendar summer, the fact that we go back to school, psychologically ending it, makes starting hockey this time of the year acceptable, and would let the NHL season wrap up the following May -- at the latest.

Guys! Wrap... it... up!

2 comments:

Greg Woods said...

Barry-- I couldn't finish reading your post-- seeing the headline and the picture just cracked me up!

Barry Smight said...

All by design, my dear fellow.