Saturday, June 6, 2009

BOXER BENNY PARET

I've always had mixed feelings on the sport of boxing. (Some think it not a "sport" at all.) There is a cultural influence for me as the era I was growing up guys like Mohammed Ali, George Foreman, and Joe Frazier were all the rage. If I think of those boxers, I automatically think of broadcaster Howard Cosell, and vise versa. Boxing was part of the 1970s.

There was a fight I first heard of years ago but had never bothered to look up; even with the Internet (and especially Wikipedia) just inches from me. A welterweight boxer by the name of Benny "Kid" Paret was killed in the ring, on live television, NBC to be exact, back on March 24, 1962. You hear stories like this and wish that boxing was something our civilized society gave up a long, long time ago. But, and without sounding too insensitive, this sport is made for the movies.


The Benny Paret story...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_Paret

It makes sense that Norman Mailer would cover a brutal fight and relate it so well...
http://dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_1-5-2004_pg3_6

No comments: