Monday, May 27, 2013

THE BROTHERS BOORS


Columnist Rosie DiManno, of the Toronto Star, has a funny/chilling/sad piece on the "Brothers Boorish" (Rob and Doug Ford) in today's paper...

"Rob and Doug Ford rushed headlong into a public spectacle of venom and bile: DiManno"
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/05/27/brothers_ford_rushed_headlong_into_a_public_spectacle_of_venom_and_bile_dimanno.html


I won't repeat what DiManno has to say other than point out something in her column which struck me as funny; due to my own interjections, of sorts. She describes and overviews the two babes' spiel yesterday on "Newstalk 1010" (on which they have a weekly "show"); specifically my self-amusement was activated by this, the beginning of a new paragraph...

Doug Ford, following up on this exchange, supplied a weird addendum. “I want to address one comment about this picture, Rob, that you don’t know about, or no one else has known about. I’ve been getting calls, from some councillors too, which I think...."

Holy smokes! Immediately I was reminded of SCTV's wonderful segment, "The Sammy Maudlin Show". I don't know if you remember or not but regular and special guest, comedian Bobby Bittman (real name: Herschel Schlansky), would suddenly, after dispensing more than a few lame jokes, get introspective for a moment and say... well, he could have said this...

“I want to address one comment about this picture, Rob (Sammy), that you don’t know about, or no one else has known about. As a comedian in all seriousness, I’ve been getting calls, from some councillors too, which I think...."

Twisted wonderful-ness.

Rob and Doug Ford are definitely two bizarre and childish guys, especially so considering they are key players in Toronto's government. As a blogger in all seriousness, I think that the joke's over. Based on their radio show alone, and certainly based on the "contents" of yesterday's program, I really wish they would grow up -- in the classic sense. Arrested Development?

What do non-Torontonians think of these two? The international media has given them space; for example, The Guardian has covered the Ford boys.

I must be philosophical: Maybe the two buffoons will increase tourism to Toronto. Visitors here must realize that the typical (simple-minded, unread, reactionary) member of "Ford Nation" does not represent the average citizen of this great city. Please believe me.

No comments: