Wednesday, May 29, 2013

STATISTICAL BLIP

I got together with a friend briefly today and, by way of discussing the inaccuracies of reporting statistics without proper context, we got onto the subject of epidemiology. This led to the issue or concern of the under-reporting of suicide; especially in countries and cultures where taking your own life is stigmatized. As we all know, when someone calls it quits they leave some devastation behind, putting their "loved ones" in the unfortunate position of having to endure and rebuild.

To wrap our serious discussion of a serious topic I quickly decided to end with some humour -- it worked; my pal laughed a belly-laugh after I delivered this with impeccable timing...

"Don't worry, man, I won't pop myself. That would leave the Toronto chapter of Space: 1999 fandom with a cut in their membership of 50%."

No comments: