Wednesday, June 12, 2013

BITS & PIECES FOR JUNE OF '13

My wish to post something on this blog everyday has been met, for the most part, these last few weeks, but unfortunately a couple of things of prime importance have dimmed the idea in recent days.

I have a couple of postings banked (just needing a going-over first). For now, here are some bits & pieces...

* Late last night I watched Lars von Trier's 2011 film Melancholia. "Outstanding"; one of the best films I've seen in years is all I can say right now, before I collect and formulate my thoughts into something more. As per my usual, I don't make an effort to find out what a given film's story is before sitting down to watch (to make a more enriching, or not, viewing experience). And in this case I'm very glad I did not read the DVD case's liner notes, which ended with this: "... Meanwhile, a planet called Melancholia is heading directly towards Earth threatening the very existence of humankind..."

* I'm becoming (almost) addicted to instant coffee. Like sex, it's almost too convenient.

* Tonight I will watch "The Slaver Weapon", an episode of the animated series Star Trek from the early '70s. I posted a briefing a few days ago, here. As I mention there, I will write and post my thoughts on seeing something, years later, from my Trekker-youth.

* Last month I wrote something on the German WW2 Dornier Do 17 bomber which was found lying upside-down underwater on the Goodwin Sands off the coast of Deal, U.K. At the time of my posting, here, a crew was readying to raise the one-of-a-kind artifact. Well, the deed has been done and with success! Terrific news, which I will comment on in the next couple of days.

* I just learned yesterday that actor/writer/comedian/etc Stephen Fry admitted that he tried to kill himself recently. To a simple person like me, that does not compute. How can someone so talented, and multi-talented, want to end it all? What I would do for even a fraction of that man's innate abilities. (The surprise at hearing this sad news was brought on by the fact that I'm about to go through a bank of A Bit of Fry & Laurie episodes.)

* In connection with the above point, I realized just a couple of days ago that Hugh Laurie is "that Hugh Laurie" from the NBC television series House, which I've seen an episode-and-a-half of. (I was not impressed although I could see what the show's producers were trying to do. Laurie is good in his role, though... no kidding.)

* In regards to the previous two points, I found out that both Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie suffer from depression -- "severe depression" in the latter's case. (At my age I'm still trying to understand why some 'things' in life are the way they are.)

* A friend's buying me lunch today; and do I ever need it: my supply of KD is almost depleted; and I must save some for tonight's dinner.

No comments: