Thursday, June 20, 2013

THE GREATEST TV CHARACTER OF ALL TIME IS

Let me tell you sometin', Meathead.
I knew this would happen: With the unfortunate passing of James Gandolfini there are pundits about stating that Tony Soprano is the "greatest television character of all time". I would buy the insertion of the all-important "possibly", or "perhaps".

Is Tony Soprano the greatest TV character of all time?

Hardly.

Try: Archie Bunker, Lucy Ricardo, James T. Kirk, George Costanza, Zachary Smith....

(I must say that I cannot stand most sitcoms, but there you go.)

There is a tendency to pick recent, or recent-ish, television shows and their characters as "the best ever"; time must pass. A little 'history' needs to accumulate in order to make such bold proclamations -- forgetting subjectivity, of course.

Personally, I think the answer to the above question is a no-brainer: "Gladys Crabtree"

No comments: