Wednesday, June 18, 2014

ACTOR FRANCIS MATTHEWS (1927 - 2014)


Last week I listened to a BBC Radio 2 documentary -- which I will post about soon -- from 2000 on Gerry Anderson's puppet shows, and an actor by the name of Francis Matthews was interviewed. He did the voice for the character of "Captain Scarlet" in the Supermarionation series Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons. Matthews was known back in the day for doing a spot-on vocal imitation of famed actor Cary Grant; he was hired by Anderson and, as Captain Scarlet, he continued his facility for sounding like the famed actor. As a matter of fact, the puppet-makers styled Scarlet himself after Cary Grant. This was lost on me when I watched the series as a child, but when I watch it now, the "nod" is pretty obvious. After I finished the doc, I made a point to screen a couple of episodes of Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons.

Early this evening I saw a tweet announcing the death of Francis Matthews.

The Guardian...
Francis Matthews obituary
Glamorous star of the BBC's Paul Temple and voice of Captain Scarlet
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/jun/15/francis-matthews

No comments: