Monday, June 2, 2014

IT SHALL BE THE KINGS AND THE RANGERS

I love the drama of life. For example: Late last night I popped-on my transistor radio to find out what happened in Game 7 of the NHL's Western Conference final match-up between the Los Angeles Kings and the Chicago Blackhawks; the news reader on 680 News was listing 'in the news' items; the next voice I heard said, "in sports... the Los Angeles Kings are on their way to the Stanley Cup final".

This news, for me, was a pleasant surprise since last I heard last night the Blackhawks were up by a score of 4 - 3 at the beginning of the third period. (The Kings tied the game with 7:17 to play in regulation time, they then scored the overtime winner just a few minutes in.)

Something mentioned on the radio this morning: "NHL commissioner Gary Bettman must be in heaven; it's East versus West, Hollywood versus Broadway." As I blogged about before (here), this 'dynamic' is good for the National Hockey League, at least in terms of selling the game in the States. (Bettman has always been delusional in his obsessive quest to embed the league throughout that great land. As an "American", he should know better. Ice hockey is not "cultural", certainly not in the southern states.)

By September, at the very latest, we will know who won the cup....

No comments: