Monday, June 30, 2014

CANADIAN FEDERAL BY-ELECTION DAY

Several "ridings" in Canada today are holding elections to fill in some holes. In my own riding of "Trinity-Spadina" here in Toronto is often hotly contested. For years it was a Liberal stronghold -- more than once I voted for Tony Ianno -- before the NDP's Olivia Chow took power back in January of 2006. Ms Chow decided recently to run for the Toronto mayoralty race but had to vacate her federal MPP seat in order to take a shot at the returning Rob Ford (his name sounds more and more like a verb).

This time around this old Liberal cast his vote for the NDP's Joe Cressy. I met him briefly and, in addition to his general platform, I like his attitude and personableness.

The voting is still happening as I write this. The polls close at 9:30 p.m.

***

Wikipedia entry on the Canadian electoral district of "Trinity-Spadina"...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity-Spadina


No comments: