Sunday, August 4, 2013

THE NEW DOCTOR WHO ANNOUNCED - IN 1969

Jon Pertwee, as The Doctor, in January 1970 "Radio Times".

As I've mentioned on this blog before, sometime and somewhere, my favourite Doctor in the long-running BBC series Doctor Who, is Jon Pertwee. As the third actor to play the doctor he guided the TARDIS in adventures through time and space from 1970 to 1974.

Even though I saw episodes of the first Doctor, William Hartnell, when they first ran, it was the third incarnation of the famous Time Lord who clicked most for me: Maybe it was the fact that in September of 1976 OECA (now TVO) started running that era of Who, specifically the "UNIT", or Earth-bound, stories within his tenure. This too maybe the reason why the Pertwee Earth-bound adventures are my favourite in the history of Doctor Who (that I am familiar with).

The great mix for me: Jon Pertwee as the Doctor; Jo Grant;  and Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart.

Some of my favourite Pertwee stories: "Inferno", "The Green Death", "The Sea Devils", "The Time Warrior", and "The Curse of Peladon" (non Earth-bound).

No comments: