Thursday, August 8, 2013

DOIN' YOUR OWN THING

Being somewhat of a creative type myself I've long believed that if you are going to put time and energy into an involved project then you might as well make something that comes from within. As a matter of fact, my sixth blog posting spoke on that issue... zap back in time.

Last evening a friend of mine sent me a link to a video on Youtube: A fan of Battlestar Galactica (the newer) manufactured a technically impressive visual effects sequence brought on by his love of that series-of-space-battles. I was going to say that he was "inspired by" BSG, but I caught myself; this fan did not make a "homage"... he made an "is". What's the point?

I emailed back to my buddy: "Very impressive. But what [is he] adding? It looks just like the show (to me). There is no personality; looks like a robot did it... the piece could get him a job, for sure. But again, why not 'blow their minds' and do something original?... even if it's outright inspired by that series."

Or, as a book I recently read on indie filmmaking stated in regards to getting you noticed by important people: 'Do something original. That still counts for a lot, believe it or not.'

I'm still impressed by the quality of the work, and I don't intend to link to this video for the sake of throwing darts -- more as a review. I'm just somewhat bemused. My other thought is: If it gives you pleasure, go for it.


Battlestar Galactica: The Battle at Helios Delta 6 -- "Brought to you byy...."

No comments: