Wednesday, August 14, 2013

NEAR-DEATH EXPERIENCE RECOUNTS


About a year ago I was enjoying a coffee with a friend of mine who had recently survived an automobile accident. For the first time he told me what happened after the collision, and his ejection from the car onto the pavement: "I was on a concrete block in a small concrete-block room."

I must have said something of a skeptical nature because he added, in an as-a-matter-of-fact way, "it's true, it happened to me, too".

We went onto another subject but before my brain totally shifted gears away from the near-death experience topic, the skeptical side of my mind proposed that such an image -- of a concrete-adorned room -- was probably generated by my friend's brain based on his points-of-reference. Would a child, who probably has no such imagery stored, picture a concrete room?

A couple of years ago I read an article on Canadian filmmaker Ann Marie Fleming where she recounted being hit by a car and almost dying. She said from the moment of impact it was lights out; blackness -- there were no memories of a near-death experience.


The Globe and Mail...
Why those near-death experiences may just be illusions
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/surge-of-brain-activity-when-the-heart-stops-may-be-responsible-for-paranormal-visions/article13742822/

No comments: