Monday, July 7, 2014

I LIKE "STAR TREK" - NOT STAR TREK...


"Key" for this quick posting...

Star Trek, refers to the original series (1966 - 1969)

Star Trek, refers to the franchise (1966 - whenever)

***

Recently I've ended up on a few Star Trek "Twitter" news feeds. That is fine, no problem at all, since I wholly support the sense of community in the Twitterverse and Blogosphere. However, I am not really a Trekker or Trekkie; no matter what impressions you may derive from certain postings here on this blog. I don't care about what J.J. Abrams or Paramount is doing with the franchise name.

I grew up with the original series and that was and is always enough, not only because I've moved on in years and have acquired many other and more important interests in that time, but Star Trek, for me, generally, is the ultimate expression of the franchise. No spin-off series can touch it as far as I'm concerned. All the wonderful -- and budget-saving! -- developments in technology allow the subsequent Star Trek material to render anything the geek's heart desires, but the Time & Place of Star Trek, its characters and its stories, not to mention the show's overall "look", are of the highest peak for me.

Besides, the original The Outer Limits series is almost certainly my desert island pick of SF television series'.  I don't refer to it as much probably because it isn't as culturally contaminating as Star Trek... or even Star Trek.

Have a nice day; I have some important work to do in the non-Star Trek universe. It's called "reality"....

No comments: