Friday, July 4, 2014

TIFF IS TRYING THE HARD SELL


On page 29 of the new issue of The Grid newspaper I saw an advert for the 2014 edition of the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF).

Emblazoned across the photograph of an audience during a "Q and A" is the text, "THIS IS YOUR FILM FESTIVAL".

Sorry, pal, it sure is not my film festival. The tickets are ridiculously overpriced and the fest is just a big film market. Don't try selling it to the common folk. Also, many friends of mine in 'the biz' don't go because, as Woody Allen once said in one of his flicks, "It's so phony!"

An editor friend of mine said to me, rather sheepishly: "I don't go (to TIFF) because I don't like film people."

Don't say, Mr. TIFF, "but, Mr. Smight, it's really about the films"; it's not. No film is worth more than ten dollars... and especially those priced over twenty (?!) dollars.

No comments: